Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- 16 years designing and building websites and web-based applications
- 13 years software and database development of robust, scalable, maintainable platforms using open-source technologies in Unix/Linux environments
- 11 years engineering proprietary and open-source CMS platforms
- Expertise: Content management, inventory and auctions, system/service integration, search, UI/Ajax development, plug-in development, web protocols, requirements gathering, use cases, test suites, automation
- Database: MySQL, Oracle, DBI
- Platform: OO, MVC, N-Tier, LAMP, REST, API
- Linux: Apache/HTTP, SMTP/POP/IMAP
- Communication and collaboration skills at all technical levels
- Additional: WordPress, Drupal, media production
- Web Developer
- Oct 2012 – Jun 2013
RentPath maintains the largest inventory of online rental listings in the US. Rent.com specifically provides property owners and managers with top-quality leads while delivering powerful search tools to prospective renters and home buyers.
- Contracted to join team of 50 engineers to develop and release Rent.com's new platform.
- Perl engineering on Moose/Catalyst based back-end utilizing API/presentation services.
- UI development on “Oneweb” responsive platform, HTML5/CSS3/jQuery, Template Toolkit.
- Parallel Perl/UI development on legacy Mason/mod_perl platform.
- Agile/Scrum development methodology.
- Liquidity Services, Inc.
- Perl Developer
- May 2008 - Jun 2012
LSI is a global leader in asset recovery, serves approximately 7000 clients and 2.5 million buyers, and completing approximately a billion dollars worth of transactions annually through its auction marketplaces (Liquidation.com, Govliquidation.com, etc).
- Development of IMS, LSI's high-availability, fault-tolerant inventory and auction management system utilizing OO Perl and MySQL.
- Purchasing and Receiving System: full project lifecycle, formalized the P&R process, integrated the P&R system into existing code and warehouse procedures.
- Approval System for stakeholders at multiple levels to evaluate and approve/reject/request more information on purchase requests, including support for email-based interaction.
- Refactored physical inventory code and process over several stages of release to migrate from quarterly to continuous-cycle; supported system and process during inventories.
- Developed search tool to communicate with LSI Product ID Database API, allowing cross-referenced searches across multiple vendor ID sources, drag-and-drop configuration of result fields and order, and saved searches.
- Democratic National Committee
- Web Developer
- Nov 2006 - May 2008
The DNC's tech department maintains the Democratic Party's campaign management platform, Voter DB, and Donation Tracking and Filing systems, as well as consulting with partner organizations on technical projects.
- Worked independently and in coordination with Blue State Digital to maintain and develop PHP/SQL for the DNC's custom-hosted BSD Campaign Tracking software.
- Maintained and developed code for custom-hacked MovableType 3 installation, including a double-plugin system for publishing content to a live local QA instance before publishing to the live site.
- Consulted with College Democrats on redesign of CollegeDems.org
- Perl Developer
- Jun 2005 – Nov 2006
Ticketmaster is the global leader in online ticket sales, and provides event planning tools and ticketing services to artists and promoters worldwide.
- Perl development: OO and ORM layers in an MVC/N-Tier environment.
- Developed and refactored SQL for both MySQL and Oracle environments.
- Independent and paired development on bugs and features, worked closely with QA engineers to test and release.
- Designed and developed Wireless Alert Service, utilizing SOAP to integrate a third-party SMS service into the application, in collaboration with Product, QA, Operations, and DB
- Full lifecycle involvement in project to convert entire codebase from Pacific Time to UTC.
- Major League Baseball Advanced Media
- Perl Developer
- Feb 2003 – Jun 2005
MLBAM produces mlb.com, mlb.tv, and affiliated team sites. MLBAM integrates live reported content from around the league, real-time scores and statistics, broadcast media, merchandise, ticketing, fantasy baseball, and content from the League's archives.
- Perl, SQL, and XML/XSL development of Newsroom, MLBAM's content management system, allowing stringers, photographers, and editors to collaborate on content and follow complex workflow procedures in real-time.
- Perl/Mason development of pregeneration system responsible for real-time publishing and syndication of gameday content (scores, stats, highlights, images, etc.)
- Perl/XML/SOAP development of services to provide schedules, standings, and news content to syndication partners.
- Worked with multimedia producers to turn complex, labor-intensive tasks into fast, powerful, fault-tolerant tools.
- Critical Path
- Branding | Perl Developer
- Nov 1999 – Sep 2002
As a provider of enterprise-scale email and calendar services, Critical Path hosted over 14 million email accounts in 20 thousand domains, and produced messaging, directory, and calendar software for carriers and ISP's
- Automated complex branding tasks with Perl in Linux environment; documented environment and procedures for training manuals, collaborated with project managers and sales engineers as technical lead on special/difficult implementations (eg: AltaVista's webmail UI).
- Promoted to Webmail Development team as a Perl Engineer until the end of the perl Webmail client's lifecycle.
- Promoted to QA team as a QA Engineer, responsible for design and development of functional and load testing environments for Web, Email, and Calendar servers.
- Flycast Communications
- Web Producer
- Aug 1999 - Nov 1999
Flycast was an early leader in direct response web advertising.
- Contracted to assist in complete redesign of Flycast's corporate site on a very tight deadline.
- Designed graphics for ad banners, promotional items and direct mail pieces using Photoshop, Illustrator, and Fireworks.
- 451 Media
- Web Designer and Producer
- Jan 1998 - Aug 1999
451 Media is a full-service agency focused on creating and delivering top-quality print, online, and multimedia marketing campaigns to Ventura-area businesses.
- Full lifecycle website development: spec analysis, site architecture, UI design and implementation utilizing DHTML techniques, copy and image production, client presentations.
- Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Studio Max, Macromedia Director (Shockwave predecessor), Homesite.
- Miscellaneous IT and networking responsibilities.
- UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA
- Religious Studies
- 1995 - 1997
- Ventura College Ventura, CA
- UC Core Curriculum
- 1989 - 1992